Sherry Turkle - Connected but Alone


Sherry Turkle’s speech on technology brings up the issue of isolation, in that the more we connect online, the lonelier we become. It is an issue I had never really thought of myself; with the ability to connect to just about anyone right at my fingertips how could I be lonely? She brings up good points about the inauthenticity of online communication - we edit what we say to others to the point that it cannot be genuine. What is genuine about a message that has been tailored to what a person wants to hear?

Comments

  1. I like that you talked about the inauthenticity of certain online communications. I think this is further reflected in Turkle's point regarding how when speaking face to face, we don't have the luxury of planning everything we're going to say. I wonder if without this safety net, we might find in person communication more difficult in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea its crazy how we can have almost like several identities in that sense. We are someone on the phone vs face-to-face. A common example is how asking someone on a date can seem to be much simpler on a phone vs face-to-face. like you mentioned; it is because of not having to have that human contact.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts